“But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.”
- One of our biggest shortcomings is that we often evaluate our walk with God without doing much to improve it! We know that we should spend more time in God’s word and communicating with Him in prayer, but we just cannot seem to find the time. Church, small groups, and accountability partners are important but something else always pops up! If changes do not occur, results will not occur! Submit. Resist. Come near. Wash. Purify. Humble. None of these are easy but they are all necessary! The results of obedience to these instructions are the devil will flee; God will come near to you; and you will be lifted up! Everything good comes from God! Desire God in your heart; Desire to get rid of the junk in your life; Seek God in His word and through prayer; and realize that you are nothing without God! He will transform your life to a life of peace and joy that is not dependent on your circumstances! He loves and desires us, but he will not force us into a relationship! He provided a Way through His Son, but He gives us the option of choosing! We are loved, but a relationship comes when we accept that love, are transformed by that love, and are committed to the one who loves us! Without Him we are nothing! Get off the throne of your life and let Jesus take control! Draw near to God and He will draw near to you!
- What does the bible tell you to do that you never seem to be able to accomplish?
- What sins are you holding onto?
- How often do you draw near to God?
- How often do you resist the devil?
- Is your desire to walk with God strong enough that you are willing to make some changes?
- What would your life look like if you would just humble yourself before God?
Submit – Give God total control.
Resist – Do not keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.
Wash and Purify – Repent and ask forgiveness for your sins.
Grieve, Mourn, & Wail – Understand that Christ died for your sins.
Humble Yourself – Realize and acknowledge who you are and who God is.