“I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.”
- Fruitful labor for Christ was Paul’s main priority in life, and being physically with Christ was his main goal in death. Paul was ready to live only because he was ready to die. A Christian’s priorities should be to honor Christ with their life, grow to become more like Him daily, spread His love, and tell the good news of salvation that He offers. These priorities should be at the top of every Christian’s list. We must be confident in death and purposeful in life.
I believe that the only thing better than living a life in true relationship with Jesus Christ is when God calls you from this life into eternity when you will have a face-to-face relationship with Jesus Christ! Success, fulfillment, peace, and joy can only be obtained when a person is assured of and focuses on their future in heaven after this life. Our goal should always be to be in the presence of Christ and our task should always be to align others to that same goal. May God always be glorified in our lives. If you are not ready to die, it is impossible to have peace while you are living. When we understand, accept, and focus on the Gospel, we are in a win-win situation!
- Are you fulfilling your role in this life, which is to honor, worship, live for and share Jesus Christ?
- What fruitful labor are you involved in?
- Are you ready to die if God so chooses?
- Do you fear death or are you assured of your position in Christ?
- How deep is your faith in God’s promise of eternal life?
Will death be “gain” for you?